Sunday, April 12, 2009

Raku . . . not for sissies!




Saturday morning found me at the KC Clay Guild raku-firing pieces for the DIFFA Dining By Design table that the Guild is designing. There is still a lot of carbon to scrub off of these pieces, but I got enough off to show how great the crackle looks. Click on the image above to see the details.

I wound up with eight of the holey votive candle holders and nine torsos. I will do another firing next weekend when more pieces have been bisqued. I used stripped Romex to make the torso stand up. The photograph does not do that feature justice; it looks cooler "in person".

The poor man-in-the-moon did not crackle, but I love his expresion. I'm toying with the idea of taking a torch to him to coax the glaze along. Risky, but it has worked before. While waiting for the kiln to get up to temperature, I sketched a few passing dogs and did gestures of a fellow raking his lawn. Note the sooty thumb print in the lower left corner. Raku is a dirty business!

An observer noted, while watching the crew transfering glowing pieces from kiln to can, that the process certainly was not for sissies. I am taking his comment as a new slogan. We'll be sporting "Raku. . . not for sissies!" buttons on Raku night, May 9, 2009 at the KC Clay Guild.


No comments:

Post a Comment